A course to be lived in body and soul! Learn to know your brain and interpret our mind to achieve a lasting and solid well-being from the hand of Dr. Nazareth Castellanos, a researcher for over 20 years in the field of neuroscience.
In recent years, neuroscience is one of the disciplines that is changing the most. New discoveries and interesting studies make us rethink concepts that we had internalized years ago, revealing more and more aspects of an absolutely wonderful reality.
What is neuroscience and what does it study?
Neuroscience is the science of studying the structure and functioning of the brain in order to understand how thought, memory, learning, emotion and behavior operate.
Neuroscience is divided into several subdisciplines, such as:
- Neurophysiology: studies the function of nerve cells and the role they play in the functioning of the brain.
- Neuroanatomy: studies the structure of the different parts of the brain and how they interact with each other.
- Neuropsychology uses magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography to study the brain at work.
In this course, taught by Dr. Nazareth Castellanos, we address interesting topics from a neuroscientific perspective.
What will we see during the Neuroscience Course?
- Anatomy of stress:
- What is stress and anxiety?
- Consequences of chronic stress
- Stress is an emotion, how does our brain manage it?
- Neuroplasticity: The ability to change our brain and behavior.
2. A calm brain:
- What makes us most unhappy?
- What does an unhappy brain look like?
- The silence of the brain: mental calm
- Neuroscience of meditation
3. Living from the body:
- Do we make decisions with the body or with reason?
- The influence of body posture on our mind
- Why does the brain need to listen to the body?
- The influence of breathing on the brain
4. The diet of the brain:
The gut: our first brain
- Gut microbiota
- Psychology as seen from the gut
- Diet and mental health
Nazareth Castellanos has a degree in Theoretical Physics and a PhD in Medicine - Neuroscience - from the Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM). Master in Mathematics applied to biology and Master in Neurosciences by the Faculty of Medicine of the UAM.
She has worked as a researcher and lecturer at the Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience Laboratory of the CTB (Complutense and Polytechnic University of Madrid), at the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfurt and at Kings College in London.
After taking this Neuroscience course with Nazareth Castellanos, you will be able to achieve all these goals:
- Better understand how the brain works.
- Have some clues on how diet/microbiota affects our mental health.
- Understand how body posture and breathing affects the brain.
- To get closer to the concept of neuroplasticity and how we can change our brain.
- Know what stress is and our ability to overcome it.
- Better understand what brain silence is and why it is the greatest source of happiness.
- We will have an alternative of how to live the sensations of the body to know ourselves and make better decisions.