Dinacharya: daily Ayurveda routine
March 18, 2022
Ayurveda, a Sanskrit word that literally means "knowledge of life", is the traditional medical science of India. This millenary medicine has a conception of the human being from a holistic point of view. That is, the prevention of diseases comes from a balance between body, mind, and spirit, as well as the treatment of ailments and pathologies.
Dinacharya is the set of habits and wellness routines that keep our body and mind in balance, self-regulated and self-established. Dinacharya allows our body to maintain its biological rhythms in tune with the rhythms of nature, helps us to detoxify, improve digestion, bring us peace, wellness, and happiness.
How to apply
Dinacharya or Ayurveda daily routine?
- Getting up before sunrise, the ideal, an hour and a half before, is Brahma time (Brahma muhurt), a period (muhurta) which literally means "The hour of the creator" and is considered an auspicious time for all yoga practices and the most appropriate time for meditation, worship or any other religious practice. The Brahma Muhurta begins 1 hour and 36 minutes before sunrise and ends 48 minutes before sunrise.
- Spend at least 15 minutes for personal introspection (meditation, prayer or other spiritual exercises).
- Cleanse the tongue of toxins with a cleanser (Jíhva Shôdhana) or a teaspoonful, used upside down. With firm but gentle pressure, scrape the surface of the tongue in one long stroke, gently without creating retching. Rinse the scraper and repeat until your tongue is clean (usually 5 to 10 times). After cleaning your tongue, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Brush your teeth (Dantadhavana). The ideal is to use a natural toothpaste without fluoride.Rinse with warm sesame oil and spit out the oil. It helps strengthen the gums, prevents bleeding gums and improves canker sores.
- Nasal irrigation or Jala Neti: to remove mucus and bacteria and dirt that accumulate in our nostrils, a kind of teapot or lotus is used, in which you incorporate warm distilled water with unrefined salt. We expand the information in this article or show you how to do it in this video.
- Drink a glass of warm water, boiled for 15-20 min, over low heat. You can add a piece of fresh ginger and/or lemon to stimulate digestion and alkalinize the body.
- Eliminate waste products (feces urine) and observe the consistency of the feces (if the feces float on water, there are no toxins in the body) and urine (a pungent odor of urine indicates the presence of toxins).
- Before the morning shower, apply warm sesame oil all over the body "Abhyanga". The daily morning oiling has multiple benefits. Read more in this article about abhyanga massages.
- Eat breakfast calmly and according to one's constitution and maintain healthy eating habits that are adapted to the daily rhythm of work. Try to always eat at the same time and have an early dinner.
- Before going to bed, perform Nasya with warm sesame oil. It is the introduction of two drops of oil in each nostril. It facilitates sleep, improves concentration and helps in cases of migraine, insomnia and sinusitis.
- Before going to bed, drink a glass of warm water with a pinch of turmeric.
If you want to know more, visit our Ayurveda course. You will find everything you need to know about this ancient medicine on Conscious TV