5 Ways to do a healthy detox diet at home
June 07, 2021
Today's post will be about a more in-depth look at how to make an Ayurvedic detox plan at home. Many of us have felt a feeling of discomfort that we cannot describe, a heaviness that interrupts our quality of life, and that is becoming normal, because we get used to living like this.
The rushed and stressful life we lead feeds our disconnection and our capacity for self-awareness to recognise our inner alarms and correct our imbalances according to the nature that constitutes us.
For Ayurveda, the biological fire (Agni) or our metabolism is the key to our health, because it is the impulse for transformation of all information (including food) that comes from the outside world around us. Agni is responsible for the digestion, absorption and assimilation of nutrients from food, thoughts and emotions. This means that when Agni is disturbed we become intoxicated, because this metabolic fire is our barrier against discomfort and disease.
Ayurveda is about living wisely every day, so in this article we will look at 5 ways to strengthen our Agni (biological fire) at home and on a daily basis:
- Drink warm water: This daily habit will help you flush out toxins, it works like a dishwasher with the fat, because it dissolves toxins by igniting Agni (metabolic fire). The idea is to drink some hot water when you wake up and then in small sips throughout the day.
- Do 10 sun salutations: This practice every day will not only activate your metabolism, but blood, lymph and prana (vital energy) will begin to circulate through your body more and more efficiently, filling you not only with health and well-being, but also with happiness.
- Welcome spices into your life: Especially hot spices such as black pepper, and bitter spices such as turmeric, the latter of which helps us digest fat by stimulating bile production and purifies our blood.
- Keep it simple: Try to keep each of your lunches as simple as possible, with little mixing and matching of foods. This will reduce the stress on your body to digest them and you will avoid incompatibility of foods that will upset your biological fire.
- Seek order and cleanliness: Your mind is reflected in the spaces of your home. According to Vastu Shastra (a traditional Hindu system for ordering our homes, similar to feng shui) order and cleanliness in your home will make you feel pure by allowing the free flow of prana (life energy) through all spaces. The fewer objects, the more emptiness and more prana. Honour the 5 elements in your home: Light a candle, place some essential oil or incense, listen to mantras or harmonious music, find a plant to take care of.
These are 5 simple ways to eliminate and prevent the formation of toxins (Ama) daily at home, which will lead you naturally towards the renewal and healing of your organism, recovering well-being, vitality and enthusiasm for life.
Regular cleansing is an important part of an Ayurvedic lifestyle to achieve natural balance. Of course, if a specific approach is to be taken, this dynamic process must be adapted to each individual, depending on his or her constitution, general state of health and surrounding environment.
Ayurveda is an ancient health system that adapts to each of us, at the very moment we welcome it into our lives. The most important thing is that we have the intention to know ourselves in order to honour our body and mind through daily choices that lead to holistic wellbeing.
If you are interested in learning more about Ayurvedic nutrition, take a look at our Ayurveda course.
See you soon!